Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The New Hampshire Primary is now exactly forty-one days away...

thanks to the NH Secretary of State's insistence that theirs must be the earliest in the nation at all costs short of the penitentiary.
There is something nigh tragic and ironic about such a famously xenophobic state struggling to hold fast to a political event that is an automatic magnet for outsiders and out of state ne'er do wells.
I can recall delivering lawn signs up there once for a certain candidate close to my heart and being treated to an expletive laden tirade by a passer-by focusing mostly on my home address and my parent's marital status.
Afterwards I thought to myself "If homeboy didn't want me up here doin' all my best for Candidate X, then he needs to start a petition to give up NH's first in the nation primary...that'll keep the furriners' out fer sure!"
Hell it work's great here in the Commonwealth, I think the last two presidential primary candidates who actively campaigned here was George Wallace and Jimmy Carter.
Well what of it, New Hampshire will NEVER give up its first in the nation primary, if they have to they will schedule it the day after the inaugural.
Of course, the democrats and the republicans would love to move the sinecure to some other bigger state, but NH has the weight of tradition, many many monomaniacal pols and certain out of state interests on her side.
The primary itself is a joke, the electorate is so jaded as to be contemptuous of the candidates and the process. Moreover, New Hampshire is one of the least diverse states in the Union, Midway Island has more ethnic and economic diversity.
But on the primary roles, like a TV sitcom in it's 12th season with sign on the horizon of the inevitable cancellation.

No comments :