Monday, September 06, 2004

There is nothing quite like....

Being jobless with no prospects to make a man suspicious and cynical about the whole “work thing”.
If I could swing it I’d dedicate the rest of my life to creative sloth, but lets face it I lack the mercenary character to happily eschew work.
I suppose that opens me up to the whole “worthless good fer nuthin’ liberal” charge…but I don’t listen to that lot anymore.
They’d happily put me behind barbed wire even if I was pulling down 250K a year.
And anyway, the Globe tells us the jobless rate is falling, meanwhile the government’s statistics indicate more people are living at or below the poverty line than ever before.
This means that high wage jobs are being exchanged for soda jerk-dom at the local Dairy Queen at a rapid clip.
Thus as we “recover” we lose buying power.
The President’s solution to this is another mad phat tax cut no doubt….money I’ll never see going to people who’ll pay me pennies if they get around to it.
I’m beginning to wonder if I couldn’t swing something on the Baja Peninsula?
Wherein an obvious talent such as myself can disport amongst the scorpions in peace.

Because there is but one battle left, the battle for dignity, autonomy, and self respect.

Happy Labor Day....

No comments :