Tuesday, March 18, 2008

An idle thought...

some busy robot at the IRS sent me a note the other day insisting I was about to get a "Stimulus check" from the US Government.
After yesterday's market drop, I'm wondering if I can get that money in Euros?

I suppose not but there is something sad and sick about the normally torpid US Treasury department rushing to bail out Bear-Stearns from bankruptcy, no one has heard a peep from any of these solons for over eight years now on the subject of anything benefiting anyone making less than $200K a year. Ah but today liquidity is the cry from the Government's homeopathic economists, when surely it was the flinging of that liquidity at every bum loan in the country that sent Bear-Stearns off the cliff to begin with.
I'm beginning to wonder if the country is really worth saving? With thoughtless profligate bailouts like this driving the process maybe it's just better all around for McCain to go to the EU in 2009 or 2010 hat in hand to get the best deal he can for the American People.
Ah but that is indeed self destructive thinking.

No comments :