Friday, May 09, 2003

Love me, love me, love me...I'm a critic...

It's not often that Humble John gets the opportunity to administer reproof to the hoar and mighty New Yorker.
In the current issue dated 5-12-03 writer Adam Gopnik reviews the book "Seriously Funny" by Gerald Nachman and blithely attributes the satiric song "Love, love love me, I'm a liberal" to Cambridge's own Tom Lehrer.
To quote the old misanthrope, what rubbish!
Gopnik doesn't even get the song title right, but he is obviously thinking of "Love me I'm a liberal" which was written and recorded by the late great Phil Ochs.
Tom Lehrer was a mathematician with a joyous morbid streak, Phil was a staunch "singing social democrat"....they are as alike as apples and oranges.
Don't get me wrong, I love them both but a hopeless faux paus like that belongs in the Umass Amherst Collegian and not in a prestige style national magazine.

No comments :