Friday, June 27, 2003

Bulgers and Bulgerism

So Governor Romney wants Billy Bulger deposed from his lofty eminence as President of Umass?
Why?
Because toppling any member of the Bulger family makes him look good to those teeming suburban voters who lu-uv Romney so much.
Whitey is on the lam, so Billy is the only Bulger within the Governor's reach.
It's ironic when you consider Bulger's social conservatism and his notorious political bonhomie with former Governor Weld.
I mean ultimately Billy is a republican appointee....chumminess with GOP Governors was a hallmark of his Senate Presidency.
Alas, these are ruthless time even for shifty footlings like Mitt Romney . Bulger's scalp on Willard's belt means much wampum when it comes time to run for the U.S. Senate, President, or Viceroy of the Planet Kolob.
What is Billy Bulger guilty of?
Being a trimmer, chiseler, a bully, and having a monster for a brother.
So far that is pretty small beers in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts....
Now as I've said before, I don't think Billy Bulger is worth the powder necessary to blow him to hell.
However his removal from office is ultimately a function of the Board of Trustees or the State Legislature and neither seem disposed to dump the Former Senate President.
That having been said I remember with the simplest nostalgia the doomed gubernatorial campaign of 1994 wherein a bankrupt Mark Roosevelt got cut dead by Billy and other senior machine democrats in this state.
And if they cut Roosevelt dead well, they cut me dead as well because I did my damnedest in my precinct for the straight democratic ticket.
Just as I always do.
Let us face it, Billy Bulger laughs at the efforts of people like me.
While I was getting snubbed at the polls, disparaged, and mocked, Billy was mixin' em' up strong with his pal Bill Weld promising the republican governor a easy romp to re-election.
It was same in 1998 and a virtual re-run in campaign 2002...either Bulger or the Bulgerists in the State Legislature cut us dead on election day.
What did Finneran call Harshbarger back in 1998?
A "loony leftist"?
Ghod how Billy must've laughed at that one!
Of course more than a few big time dems have flown to Billy's defense, notably Senators Kennedy and Kerry.
Granted they've got a different agenda here, and I accept that, however I would remind Teddy and Johnnie that their pal Billy would sell them both out for a carton of cigarettes under the right circumstances.
Because lords knows he has been selling me and mine out for ten solid years now with no end in sight.
Sick
Demented
Typical.

No comments :