Tuesday, August 11, 2009

No ill will for Dan Grabauskas

(yet) it isn't his fault that the MBTA was defunded and screwed up beyond hope of recognition before he ever got there. Nonetheless as someone who logged a lot of time in a state of suspended animation on the Red and Green Lines I can't say I'm sorry to see him go.
How many times a day have we heard his earnest voice intoning "Safety is our number one concern here at the T" ?
Aye, because mere timeliness is a hopeless fantasy I would always add silently.
The job was too big for him, no shame in that.
On the other hand, I do think as of today old Dan is making candidacy noises, perhaps he dreams of the Lieutenant Governor's sinecure, maybe he wants to take flyer at the big job in the corner office.
To get there, he has to recast himself as a martyr and the current controversy is a first step in that direction. My question is though, how confortable will the GOP's base be with a gay man running statewide? Grabauskas could sidestep that whole mishaugas neatly and get on Tim Cahill's ticket...no fuss no bother no primary. I doubt Dan would do it, but it's fun to think about in the dawg days of August.

No comments :