Monday, August 30, 2004

Cadillacs for Bush...

I must've been the only Kerry-Edwards drudge up in Nashua NH today who didn't know the President was in town.
All I heard was a big visibility was called for...and so off I went.
When humble Elias got there Bush, Romney, and whatever cheap bastard is currently serving as Governor of New Hampshire were all infesting Nashua High School trying to ignite a rally.
So far as I could see this was the big confab for Massachusetts Republicans, there must've been humdreds of them bused in from the Bay State.
The Cadillac revolutionaries were out in force as well...dozens of the damn things kept sweeping past us and down the road to the GOP event.
And then there was us out on the curb...several hundred Kerry-Edwards drones with a bunch of ACT-UP servitors sprinkled in for good measure.
I have to say, some of those ACT-UP guys have problems with courtesy and self control.
on the other hand the average New Hampshire voter's passion for verbal confrontation is as yet undimmed. I myself got accosted by some wrinkled old yob who was screeching away at me about abstinence education and how it will save my kids from being "infected an' diseased".
He was flailing around some book by Tammy Bruce....presumably her hymen and beyond are uninfected and undiseased.
And this is a fairly typical encounter in New Hampshire during an election year. The locals have always taken a gleeful delight in haranguing unwary campaign volunteers.
The Bush campaign didn't have much presence on the streets that I can see...but as I said they made up for it by calling us all sorts of jolly names as they drove by.
I felt bad for the cops who had to stand the watch in the hot sun today...those kevlar vests make things pretty toasty.
Oh yeah and the Secret Service was there...looking displeased as usual.
Just another typical day on the campaign hustings in the Granite State.

No comments :