Thursday, December 06, 2007

I'm running behind this week...so much to discuss so little time...

Mormon youth make the front page of the Boston Globe today.

They all sound like nice kids but I wonder how many of them will be calling in sick to school on January seventh in order to go door to door in New Hampshire for Mitt Romney?

Which they can do with my blessing it is after all a national election in which Romney seeks a place. Dress warm kids, lotsa layers and cover those ears sez the old misanthrope.

Of course things were a lot different a mere six years ago.

"A man's religion is his own business" so I foolishly opined in 2002 as Mitt Romney ran for governor.
Imagine my chagrin on election day as my little bed room suburb was flooded with dozens of out of state Mormon volunteers happy and hell bent on putting their bishop in office.

Nowadays I say, a candidate's religion IS the public's business whenever he or she intend to use revealed religion as a guide to public policy.
Then all bets are off.

Romney's speech today won't change any of this, whatever he says, the reality is he must still convince the wowsers he can be trusted despite his religion to give them their own personal eschaton.
JFK told the ministers, 'My faith is no threat to you, the separation of church and state will be strong if I win'.
Romney is telling us 'Forget I'm a Mormon, I'll do whatever you ask once I win...'
See the difference?

No comments :